Friday, November 21, 2014

On "Teaching Moments"

One of the responses on Facebook to my post of yesterday was a nice lady who recounted how during an owl making craft she had talked with one little girl who was making an orange and yellow  "explained to her that owls are not that color in real life, but she could color it however she wanted."
She was proud of having created a "learning opportunity."

I'm very, very glad she let the child do as she wished, but, as I've ranted before, sometimes why can't we just read the story, make the craft, and let things happen as they will?

Why don't parents, caregivers, teachers and librarians realize that creativity will take these kids further into the world than learning to do things as they are in "real life"? They'll get their fill of that soon enough!!

I could go on, but instead I will refer you to the late, great Harry Chapin and his immortal song,
"Flowers Are Red." I've wanted to sing that for every parent, every nanny, every teacher I've ever deal with.

This is especially appropriate as on a CD which we often listened to with our daughters in the car, Harry starts this song with a chorus of "Rant, Rant, Rant, Rant."And I'll add that both of my daughters are creative souls who "march to their own drummers."
I hope that they always will.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your blog, it is great! I have a little story of a dad who was telling the kid what to color and what colors to use. I gave him some glitter and we went to town with the glue. The dad just chuckled but I hope he got the point. (I was pretty blunt). I love your blog and I am a uking librarian too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me YOUR story!
(Please note that trolls of the kind who tend to live in apartments rather than under bridges will be mocked mercilessly, especially in terms of grammar and spelling...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...