Friday, September 20, 2013

Not Flannel Friday At All, But A Cool Song

I haven't done anything with flannel in months, but I discovered this song last week, and shared it with the crew on the Flannel Friday Facebook page. No one seems to know this song, but I decided it would be great for playing on the ukulele.

 Anyway, it's called "Everybody Knows That I Love My Toes". For the babies and toddlers, it's a touch game. For the 2 and up set, it's a "point to your body parts" game. Either way, it's a lot of fun.
And you can make up endless verses--though I always end each one with "nose" to rhyme with "toes.

I did it with 3 simple chords--C, G and G7. Not only are they simple, but they fit my voice. I know a lot of "experts" say you should sing high so the kids won't strain, but their voices are just developping and they sing any way they want to. However, I DO try to sing on key and don't want to strain my voice. Hence, I use the right key for me.

You can find the original words and an MP3 sample of this HERE on Peter and Ellen Alleyn's site--it's her song. And there's a set of chords  HERE on Nancy Cassidy's site. I can play it her way, but it's too high for me, and I have to substitute a C chord for the difficult Bb chord.

There are also two videos of this on YouTube. One is someone showing you how to jazz it up with the blues guitar, the other is two nice young ladies singing it a capella. That's what really got me going with this song!

And now there is a third video, of a pitiful beginning ukulele player, as you will see below.

Who is "Katie B", by the way?  Well, to make a long story short (as my mom says and never does), she's the big panda who lives in my library along with her son "Baby B". I am not allowed to blog officially for the library <sigh>, so Katie does it for me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this fun song! It is always good to have an arsenal of them for when the kids get too wiggly for another story and it is good to have some that are new to them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me YOUR story!
(Please note that trolls of the kind who tend to live in apartments rather than under bridges will be mocked mercilessly, especially in terms of grammar and spelling...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...