Friday, February 3, 2012

Another REAL "Flannel Friday": Two Crows for "Three Craws"

I've had a version of this old Scots song running through my head for years--from some kids album or another--but have never used it. But for some reason I was singing it up in my story time storeroom the other day and decided I wanted to use it.

My initial thought was to make sewn felt finger puppets--and I did find a source for a nice pattern.  But then I decided to check the "Flannel Friday" boards on Pinterest, and sure enough, Library Quine, there in bonnie Scotland, had something I could use!

I went to the pattern she linked to, printed it out, cut out the pattern and with the help of some stiffened felt, an X-Acto knife, scissors and my trusty glue gun, made two crows in short order.

I only made two crows, because the way I sang this, the third crow "wasna there at'a". And when we got to that part, I opened my arms and shook my head and the kids and the parents really liked it.

Just for the heck of it, I am offering my sung version of this. I am not Scots of course, but a Jewish girl from New York City, however, we can roll our "rrrs" pretty well too, and this song wouldn't be any fun if you sang "Three crows, standing on a wall". Boring!

I used these with the leg holes, but I think I may try making legs for them and mounting them on sticks for the next time I want to use them. For use them again I will! 












4 comments:

  1. Very cute song and puppets. I like your thoughts about the third crow. Very fun!

    I love your note about trolls above your comments. Made me laugh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wasn't expecting to hear my name in the recording, wow!
    I loved what you did with the puppets and the song, and I think you Scots accent is quite as good as mine (if not better).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with the accent as well. I can't do one and I do have quite a bit of Scottish ancestry from my dad's side of the family. I sound like one of the characters in Austin Powers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hank you, I am blushing at the praise!

    Somehow it seems to be one I can mimic easily. Perhaps it's all those Diana Gabaldon (Outlander) books I am re-reading right now :D

    ReplyDelete

Tell me YOUR story!
(Please note that trolls of the kind who tend to live in apartments rather than under bridges will be mocked mercilessly, especially in terms of grammar and spelling...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...