Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Toddler Theme of the Week: All About Me

Most of the year, I do "Mother Goose Time" which is more of a circle time than a story time. I don't really do "themes" for it, but I do change some of the rhymes and songs seasonally.

Lots of the things I do in Mother Goose focus on body awareness--as in "Where's your nose? Show me your nose, Isabella! Show me your fingers, Jacob!" Mother Goose rhymes and songs are loaded with opportunities for this sort of thing, from "This Little Piggie" to "Where Is Thumbkin?"

So in my June transitional program, a "here are my hands" sort of program is a natural choice.


Books:
I have this Bill Martin Jr book as a "big book" and the parents and children enjoy pointing to the different parts mentioned. We talk about all the things you do with your hands, your ears, etcetera. As you can see from the cover this is nicely multicultural and shows both boys and girls.







I have a cherished memory of seeing Eric Carle visting "Mr Roger's Neighborhood" and watching Carle and Fred Rogers performing this book together--I grew up with Mr Rogers and regret that my own girls didn't get much of a chance to spend time in his "neighborhood".

Anyway, this is the perfect book to do with toddlers because toddlers and almost twos aren't good at sitting still. With this book, as they turn their heads with the penguin, stretch with the cat, bend their knees with the camel and more, they don't HAVE to!





Songs:
 "Finger in the Air"  is originally by Woody Guthrie, but my version comes mainly from children's fingerplay/game song star Tom Glazer. You can hear a sample here.

"Here We Go Looby Loo:" I have found a lot of tracks for this, but in listening, I've found that MY way of doing the song is really combining the actual song with the song that I think stemmed from this: "The Hokey Pokey".
Anyway, if you look on Amazon.com you'll find lots of tracks w/the right tune--I'm partial to the one by Bob McGrath of Sesame Street myself.

BTW,"Looby Loo" must have originated with the days of yore (see Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Farmer Boy" for an account of this)when the whole family took their weekly baths in the kitchen Saturday

night. Hence the "put your hand in, and shake it all about"--you are shaking the water off your hand!

Next week's theme?  "Things That Go"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me YOUR story!
(Please note that trolls of the kind who tend to live in apartments rather than under bridges will be mocked mercilessly, especially in terms of grammar and spelling...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...